Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Dont cry for me, Argentina..!!!


...Or lets be honest.. feel free to,  Buenos Aires!  And by cry, because you are so happy that you are my VERY FIRST stop on this amazing South American journey. (Also, that you are my 2nd new continent to visit in one calendar year...!! Check!)

So, after about 13 hours or travel, I landed in bustling BA. The airport was quite a mob scene, then the traffic brought me home... aka - it felt like driving in or out of Chicago, as it was so bad, it took us close to an hour to get to our hotel. (I am traveling with one of the other girls who I'll be spending the next month in Brazil with, Amy.)

It has been a truly great day, and this is a beautiful City!  Certainly very culturally and otherwise rich (or at least the neighbor we are staying in.. the Recoleta)- but also just lovely. I think we have hit it just before the tourists decent upon Argentina for the spring and summer seasons.  

We spent a long time meandering around the City, winding up and down streets and corridors...and graveyards.  Well, one graveyard.  La Recoleta Cemetary is one of the City's most renown sites... It is really beautiful...and was fascinating to walk around... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Recoleta_Cemetery). Built in 1822, there are many famous past Argentinians who have been laid to rest here. The most famous of them, in my eyes, is Eva Peron...  but there are past Presidents, the founder of the Argentine Navy and many prominent citizens of lovely BA.

We followed this up by finding some delicious food (um - can you say stuffed patatas and pollo...oh and I am DEFINITELY going to eat a cazuela tomorrow..aka casserole!), and a bit more walking around. Tomorrow we plan to go to the 'Teatro Colon' and perhaps head to Palermo Soho for some shopping.  Who me, what shopping?  (Good thing my mom isnt here to reverse haggle!) :)  ...Of course after this afternoons' siesta and a bit of Argentine fare this evening...!!

An aside - my Spanish is bad. Real bad. Or at least should be better... If this is a sign for what is to come in Brazil...even after hours of practicing with my Portuguese apps, I am totally hosed. 

Buenos Dias. Buenos Noches.  Buenos Aires!

XOXO - Sar

(BTW - these will be coming more frequently now...and I will even back up and share a bit about the last few weeks, too!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment