Wednesday, October 23, 2013

All work, and some play

I have talked a lot about the 'sabbatical' part of the social sabbatical, and not the hours where I am spending the majority of my time... At work! I did mention a few weeks ago that my project is focused on neighborhood revitalization, which is fascinating, exhausting and really important - all at the same time.

To imagine what my day looks like... it goes smthg like this... a run at 715 AM with the guys. We have formed a great little running group, and its a fun way to catch up and get some exercise at the same time. I then get ready, we meet for breakfast in our hotel (which is still very modest, and I am still only semi used to.. I will like not wearing socks at all times when I get home :)). After that, Piotr, Senta and I get picked up by our Brazilian client - Walker Massa.

Walker is one of the kindest souls I have maybe ever met. He has been an unbelievable host and guide through the City of Porto Alegre. He owns a company that provides Entrepreneurs a place to work - but also a creative place to network and 'co-work'...as opposed to working from home, or some other remote location. Its a very cool concept, and he is a cool guy. For as much as we've learned from him, I think he has learned from us, too.

We then work on the neighborhood revitalization program... half in ENGL and typically at least half in Portuguese.  It is exhausting to be working in a language which you do not speak.. I do understand a lot, but I obvsly cannot speak much.  Senta and Piotr are in the same boat, and dont necessarily want to, either. (Which I totally get!) We interview constituents, business people, government officials and do research on what the 4th district 'could be' - for Porto Alegre and in 10 years...

A normal work day includes a long lunch (I have NEVER had lunches away from my desk in the States - so its totally foreign to me!) , and questions/commentary from the co-workers at different points during the day. Often, we have extracurricular activities, as well. This means the day normally stretches from my 715 AM run - 730 or 8 PM... after which - we go out for dinner.  #yikes!  #moreeating!

Oh - and remember - this is all on Brazilian time, too. Meaning... the time fluctuates... but we usually run 10 - 30 mins behind for every meeting or engagement and the phrase 'Take it easy' is used a lot.  A lot. : ) #whome #doineedtotakeiteasy?

Regardless - I will take back the balance in life, the focus on the right things and the right time, and the camaraderie this experience has brought into my sphere.  Again, I am one lucky girl!!! 

Ok - more soon! This week brings more shoe shopping, PT lessons, and a trip to Rio!!!! Woo hoo!!!

Cant wait to share... And then, I am back home! I leave next Friday.. so the downward slide home is definitely in full force. I look forward to hearing from you!  Notes from home help a lot. 

XOXO  
 

Brochure from a Workshop I participated in with some colleagues.  Design thinking in action

Our workplace!  From L to R... Senta, me, NOS Logo, Piotr, Walker, Raphael, Marco (from Nos)

No comments:

Post a Comment